Tuesday, February 12, 2013

terrariums

D. I . Y. 

This is my first DIY post. Don't know why because I love to get crafty. (But I suppose, I find this more of a personal blog than anything else.) I was inspired to do a terrarium for a while (hence all the DIY terrarium tutorials on the web before this one) but lacked the materials, however, recently I was buying flowers and found everything needed. These sweet terrariums bring the outdoor life inside and are super easy to create & maintain. 


What you will need:
  • Moss
  • Tiny spoon
  • Jars - any size, up to you 
  • Chopsticks
  • Soil
  • Charcoal
  • Shells / rocks
In General, not much. Plus, you can add any other tiny trinket you might find interesting. I couldn't find charcoal at the flower shop near my place, so I explained to the shopkeeper the purpose of it and despite the language barrier she was able to provide me with some materials that have the same purpose. 


 
 

Step 1: Add a base layer - this is where you add
either shells or rocks or a mix of both.



Step 2 (left): Add a thin layer of charcoal - 
this is what cleans the air. 
Step 3 (right): Add soil, (depending on the size of your jar) you can play around with this and create the illusion of a landscape. 
I used tiny jars so that was not possible. 



Step 4: Add the moss or if using a bigger jar a 
terrarium plant/s and voila, simple! 





I'm really happy with the outcome of my two tiny terrariums. I've only added a few drops of water and they are suppose to be set for a couple of weeks (but don't cite me on that).





I hope this at least sparked some inspiration in you, 
enjoy, and have a lovely day ᵕ꒶̮ᵕ


16 comments:

Rosalinda Tjioe said...

Love them! Great job :) x

http://rosalindatj.blogspot.com

Estefanía Ainoza said...

Really nice !!! I love it!!!

his little lady said...

Absolutely loving this DIY terrarium! Perfect!
xo TJ

devorelebeaumonstre. said...

nice!

devorelebeaumonstre.com xx

Benlovesting said...

So lovely!

Thi Lan said...

great post *_* your blog looks very lovely and interesting. im glad if you visit my blog, too <3 keep in touch!

xx
beauthi.blogspot.com

Summer said...

Oh my word! I love little terrarium type things. Thanks for sharing this :)

xo
summer

Kate M said...

Love your blog!

Would you like to follow each other via GFC and bloglovin’?
If so let me know and I’ll follow you right back

My blog is a fashion/lifestyle blog!

Speak soon,
Have a lovely evening
Much Love,
Kate xo

www.and-kate.blogspot.com

Nava said...

Great post, I love it! ^^ You have a nice blog, mind to follow each other? :)

BLOG | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

Gilbert Ganda said...

I remember doing them myself when I was young and gave them away to some of my closest friends! I even added some dried flowers and a little note!

anyway, just came across your blog and what I should say is that I love your blog a lot! and there is no reason not to follow!

hope you will spare some time to visit ours too!
http://gandagilbert.blogspot.com

Kate M said...

Thank you so much for your lovely comment,
I'm following you back now chick
Stay in touch my dear!
Lots of Love;
Kate xo

www.and-kate.blogspot.com

Rosalinda Tjioe said...

So pretty! Such a great idea x

http://rosalindatj.blogspot.com

Nicole said...

Pretty cool! <3

sabrina maida said...

really cool ! nice post , thanks for sharing dear

http://newsabesabrina.blogspot.com

Connie said...

thats such a nice idea and can serve as a very natural and nice decor :)

XxxLoveIsBeautyxxX said...

great! would you like to follow each other in gfc and bloglovin? let me know!